Friday, January 19, 2007

Better then Nagila???

Pizza

Kosher pizza in Los Angeles isn't a very interesting topic. All the places have been opened forever or they are new but suck. Everyone has his or her preference, I know. However, I recently discovered a local slice here in Pico/Robertson and I'm completely hooked. Whereas before, I never found myself craving Nagila for dinner or popping into Pizza World on my way home from dropping the babysitter, I now find myself doing both of those in relation to my new obsession.

Of course I am talking about Shalom Pizza, home to the best kosher slice of pizza in LA (I do not include Valley Village in LA). I lived in this neighborhood for about 6 years, seeing this place and always thinking, "there's that gross looking Persian pizza place next to Haifa, I wonder who would eat there?" I'm not really sure how I ended up trying it out, I think it was a Sunday, I had the kids and was coming from LaCienega park when I decided to meet Chaim Woolf and his kid for lunch. Chaim doesn't like to drive (he's a walker) and it's a block from his place so we met there. As I ate the first slice it hit me "this is damn good pizza!" I continued to systematically inhale about 4 slices, savoring the sweet tomato basil sauce, the salty cheese and biting down on the perfectly crunchy crust. I soon came back, this time meeting Benny Forer with his kid and again I was floored by how good this pizza was. Now I'm constantly coming up with excuses and trying to convince my wife that we should take "the kids" for pizza. As far as my kids are concerned, they don't understand why we don't go to Nagila anymore.

For those of you who have never been to Shalom Pizza, as mentioned before it is a very small place next door to Haifa restaurant (home to the best kosher beef shish kebab in LA) near Pico and Shenandoah. The décor has not been updated in about 20 years by my estimation. The owner is a super nice guy; not sure what his name is. He told me that he learned how to make pizza from an Italian pizzeria owner in New York 30 years ago and I totally believe him. All the pizzas are made by hand the traditional way not by some machine. He makes his dough every evening and lets it rise overnight in the fridge never resorting to frozen dough. He uses the best chalav yisroel 100% mozzarella cheese for his pizza, never adding Cheddar or Monterey Jack as some less reputable places are known to do. He will not sacrifice the quality of his product to save a few bucks. Whereas the pizza at Nagila tastes commercial - perfectly consistent, never varying in taste or texture - each pizza from Shalom has its own personality. One time that I had it, it was a bit salty. The owner attributed it to the freshness of the cheese (he said that as the cheese ages the flavor mellows). He does his best to make his customers happy. As an example, one guy (probably a New Yorker) asked him to make the crust extra thin, no problem – try that at Nagila. If he sees you with a child he won't make the slice too hot so your kid can eat it right away. Overall, what makes this pizza special is the amazing crust. It is crunchy on bottom but soft and almost fluffy above that and has a hint of sweetness. The edge also known as the “cornicione” has perfectly inconsistent bubbles that are light and airy and make eating the end crust my favorite part of the meal.

I haven’t explored much of the rest of his menu – his baked ziti, which is served with a small piece of baked pizza dough, is good although he needs to leave it in the oven a bit longer (I like the cheese to be a bit brown and crispy on top). The calazone that I tasted was made from the same delicious, slightly sweet dough that his pizza uses and comes with a side of marinara sauce for dipping. I don’t really understand why he sells egg rolls but apparently the school that he supplies liked them so he added them to his menu.

I urge all of you to go and try Shalom Pizza as you will not be disappointed. Shabbat Shalom.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went their and the pizza sucked the only great thing is that they serve beer.

Kosher Food Critic said...

maybe you drank too much beer... try it again

Anonymous said...

Did you all know they were closed down by the health departmnet for a bit, not that long ago? Have not tried it yet, but if Critique Danny loves it, it's worth a shot..

Anonymous said...

Dude, I know I'm your brother, but sometimes I question exactly how we crawled out of the same gene pool. On your enthusiastic recommendation we tried the pizza with the kids. Entirely unfit for even canine consumption. Maybe the Hecht brothers are correct in saying that you have no idea what you're talking about. :-)

Kosher Food Critic said...

Were you drinking beer with Yoni at the time? Shame on you, alcohol in front of the kids, watch out or I'll tell Rabbi Kanefsky!

Anonymous said...

the pizza is pretty tasty but you are definitely overdoing it. This critique has made me question your overall critiquing abilities. You sound very biased in your review - is there no downside to shalom pizza? Just because the pizza tastes pretty good does not mean it is a great restaurant and if you are going to critique it - be a little more comprehensive in your review and cover the entire menue and eating experience. And for the record, no pizza in L.A. is consistent - not even Nagila - they all suffer from the SAT. Night syndrome - undercooked, doughy crust lacking any crispy-ness cuz they take it out too quickly or don't use a high enough temperature in the oven.

Kosher Food Critic said...

good pizza, it's all about the pizza. feel free to taste something else on their menu (they have egg rolls in case you're in the mood) and let us know how it is (I did mention their ziti and calazones - the only 2 other things I have tried). not sure why you say I'm biased. I like they guy and his pizza. Place still looks like a dump and I'm not interested in his eggplant parmesan! Re. the Sat night issue, it may have more to do with the longer or shorter time the dough is left to rise though I'm not sure. Need to do some more research.

Anonymous said...

Dani,

The concept of a blog is to voice your comments in order to create a conversation. You need to let people reply and comment without trying to make sure you get in the last word. Being quite sometimes is better than saying anything.

Kosher Food Critic said...

yoni, feel free to contribute something to the conversation as opposed to knocking me. it's my blog so I can certainly participate in the conversation

Anonymous said...

Hey Guy! Congrats on the Blog! I'll try anything for a decent slice, IMHO the best Pizza ive eaten in LA (which doesn't come close to any Pizza in NY, especially Amnon on 13th and jerusalem on Ave J, is in the Valley at Bramis on Sherman way.

Anonymous said...

Cholent Fresser your a looser. Your a thief and like to steal other people's reviews. We all know who you are and what you do. Your not welcome here...and if your going to get the valley involved in best pizza talk then the conversation starts and ends with LA Pizza. Go back to trashy Brooklyn we dont want your kind here.

Anonymous said...

EAAASY Rat Boy... What's your beef with Cholent Fresser?? Did he take your cholent? personally I think La Pizza is the best in LA and wayyyy better then anything in NY (overall kosher pizza in NY is pretty lousy)

Anonymous said...

Yo Clipper Lover, love the name...love the support. Can we get together sometime and talk some Clipper basketball? Are you part of the Nation?
Do you know where Elton Brand has a mole?

Anonymous said...

Who is Chollent Fresser? For anyone who has any material information on the identity of Cholent Fresser, there is a bounty on his head of one meal to Jeffs Gourmet.

Chollent Fresser is wanted for his criminal activities which include but are not limited to plagiarism, identity theft, and impersonating a dirty cockaroach. Identiy yourself now Cholent boy! We will capture you.

Anonymous said...

how will anybody collect on the free meal at Jeff's if you are anonymous? When I expose the Cholent Fresser, how do I collect?

Anonymous said...

sounds like pizza not worth missing..

Anonymous said...

Hey Yoni
Unless you are nostalgic for CH Pizza, Shalom Pizza is way way way better than Nagilla or almost any other Pizza Shop in LA. Anyone from NY who knows anything about Pizza knows that there are two great pizza places in LA, Shalom and La Pizza.